Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Hard Knock Life"


This one goes out to the one and only Amy Winehouse. The young and restless English child who took the world by storm with her uniquely powerful and amazingly soulful voice. I was in the studio with Memphis producer MaxPtah and emcee Knowledge Nick when I heard about her death at the age of 27. We all had to really take a moment. Having problems with drugs and alcohol abuse, violence, and self-destructive behaviours, many of us knew that she was headed down a dark road that would eventually lead toward disaster if she didn't change her ways. However, I don't think ANY of us actually wanted to see it happen. 

Yea, she was in her own league. Amy paved the way for many artist after her. British singer Adele had credited Winehouse's success in the United States for making her and fellow British singer Duffy's journey to the United States "a bit smoother". American singer Lady Gaga credited Winehouse with making it easier for unconventional women to have mainstream pop success. She has been seen as one of the major artist responsible for the revival of soul music since 2000. At the very least, her death highlighted her music, talent and how important GOOD MUSIC really is. (Sorry, but if KE$HA died, it would be a shame, but... ::shrugs::) More importantly also showed that LIVING FAST and DYING YOUNG is OVERRATED!! It's a message to the younger generations. The lifestyle Amy Winehouse lived wasn't/isn't GLAMOUROUS. It's DESTRUCTIVE. There are many trying to live this type of life as a trend. Her life wasn't. Hers was real. Moreover, I am sure she didn't want her life to be the way it was. But, we can learn from others mistakes and there's definitely a lesson in this one. Amy, we miss you already.

R.I.P

"I don't ever want to do anything mediocre. I hear the music in the charts and I don't mean to be rude, but those people have no soul. Learning from music is like eating a meal.. you have to pace yourself. You can't take everything from it all at once...I'm a musician. I'm not someone who's trying to be diplomatic, you know, trying to get my 15 minutes. I'm just a musician who is honest." -Amy Winehouse





2 comments:

  1. Awesome homage to yet another light dimmed long before her time... RIP Amy Winehouse.
    Great article Eso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, Fathom!!

    ReplyDelete