Saturday, June 11, 2011

"Appletree"

For the past few years I have been secretly examining my relationships with people I used to know well, who I have come to know, and how they interact with each other and myself. People from high school, from the neighborhood, your family, from team sports, etc.  It is interesting to see how life can either pull you closer or further away from someone you knew very well or hardly at all. I've had relationships to slowly fall apart due to certain circumstances. Distance and time has played a part in some of those. I'd like to rekindle a few of them because I believe that those particular relationships are worth keeping. Although, doing so with a few may be detremental for my well being. At the same time, I have developed a few relationships that I believe are going to be around for a while. Some of which have replaced the previous ones that had faded. I've noticed that the majority of the relationships that I have and don't have now are because of the development of myself and the path that I've chosen to take. I've changed. So, my environment had to change as well. So did the people I associated with. At times I wish that I could bring some of the people from my past with me on my journey, even though I know I shouldn't and/or can't. It is true that people come into your life for a reason and for a season. As I've analyzed my experiences with people, I have realized why certain people had to leave and why certain ones stayed in my life. I believe one should do a check on the people they associate with or classify as "friends". They tell a whole lot about "you". "Friends" shouldn't HAPPEN to you. You shouldn't get into a position where you don't even know HOW you became friends with someone. They should be a choice and conscious effort. Just like Ms. Badu said, "I picks my friends like I pick my fruit. My ganny told me that when I was only a youth." The people I have in my life now are there because I chose them to be there. I am thankful for them for even tolorating me. ;) At the end of the day, God and your relationship with people are THE MOST IMPORTANT thing...period. So, just stop and think about that everytime you come in contact with an old classmate, or a cousin, or a good friend from college...Just a thought!!

1 comment: